Monday, October 19, 2009

Its time to slay the Dragon!

Lyoto Machida is finally defending his belt this Saturday against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 104. I really hope I have time to watch it even if I doubt I will since I have midterms. Regardless of whether I will be able to watch this live or not I'll make sure to download it.

I know there are a lot of people cheering for Shogun but this isn't 3 years ago. Shogun is a different fighter now. He had his 1st loss in the UFC against Forrest Griffen, someone I wouldn't even consider in the top 5 light heavyweights in the world. He has had 2 knee surgeries and his conditioning did not look great against Mark Coleman. In his last fight he knocked out "The Iceman" but you have to remember this is a Chuck Liddell who should have retired 3 fights ago. None the less the TKO was impressive but was it as nice as Machida's KO against Rashad Evans?

If this was back in Pride a few years ago I would give the fight to Shogun, but now I would have to stick to Machida. If Shogun has any chance surviving he has to take this fight to the ground and hope he locks down a submission.

I don't want to jump the gun here because anything can happening in the cage but if Machida does win, who will he fight? I do not see another #1 contender. Rampage was an option but who knows how long it will take him to realize he belongs in the UFC. Maybe after the fact he realizes hes not an actor!

Now this is hard to say because Anderson Silva is not sure if he can take on Belfort because of his elbow surgery. Every one knows I don't even believe Belfort deserves that title shot. So here is what I purpose. Why not let the middleweight champion face the light-heavyweight champion if he survives Shogun. In my eyes Anderson is the only person who can "slay the Dragon ". This idea would give great publicity such as the BJ Penn vs GSP fight did. I would consider both Anderson and Machida in my top 5 pound for pound best fighters in the world and this fight would make any fight card one to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment